Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Christmas Tree Story

We debated whether or not we should get a tree this year. We're traveling after Christmas (and have a housesitter, all you stealers out there!) and don't like to leave a tree for someone else to care for. Bryce was super busy with the end of his course, and the last couple of weeks just seemed so busy for some reason. Before we knew it it was the last week before break and we didn't have a tree, and when we looked for a small one while out together it seemed that most of the places were out of the size we wanted. We even thought about a tabletop tree, a prelit one, but couldn't find one we liked for the price (why are those so freaking expensive???).

We pretty much decided that we'd be tree-less, but we could put presents around the fireplace. We have garlands on the windows and mantle, and glass icicles hanging from the windows and sliding glass door, so it's not like it wasn't Christmassy, it was just...no tree.

Cozy hearth, just no tree.

Icicles!

The shed with lights and the tree that has doubled in size in 5 years...

I won't lie, it made me feel a bit down. Last Sunday I was real sad. Sobby, mopey, lie-facedown-on-the-floor sad. I can't remember what triggered it exactly, but I'm sure it has something to do with our first Christmas knowing absolutely that we will be living without children for the rest of our lives, and so there's a certain extra sting in that. Then not having a tree, it made me sad because I don't want to be like, "oh, we're busy, we don't have time" and then lose all our traditions. That would suck.

My mom and stepfather came over for Christmas on Thursday evening since they are traveling up to my sister's for the holiday and then making rounds in Canada, then a whole bunch of other family stops on their way to Florida. Because we are also traveling, we'll miss each other, so we did the holiday thing early. I came home from school and picked up the house, vacuuming and lighting yummy holiday candles and setting the table and trying to get my grading in before they got there. Bryce said he had an errand to run if I didn't mind, if things were in good shape, so he didn't get home until 6:10 when we had to swap cars. Oh, single driveway, what fun you are.

But then he opened his trunk, and said, "TA-DAAAAA!"

In the trunk was the most adorable little 4-foot tree ever. I was so silent at first that he thought I was mad at him for bringing a tree right before my parents were coming over, but I was just shocked, in a good way.

And then he told me this story:

Today, at work, a coworker was saying how they didn't have a tree until now because her husband was working on Christmas and wouldn't be there, and it was all so depressing, but that she had to get the tree for her kids, that if it was just her and her husband she wouldn't have cared but Christmas is all about the kids, you know? It's not for adults. It's the magic in children that makes Christmas a thing. And I got SO MAD, because it's NOT just for children, or people with children, it's for EVERYONE who celebrates it. And I told her that, and then I realized she didn't know that we weren't adopting anymore (because Bryce is not nearly as verbal-vomitty about that as I am), but I guess now it's clear. Then I said, "I have to leave and go get my wife a tree! Dammit, we deserve a freaking tree!"

I love this man, so much.

And that is how we managed to get a Christmas tree, perfectly sized for our hobbit house, four days before Christmas. We are decorating it tonight, and then when we leave for our trip we'll take down the ornaments and put it outside with birdseed ornaments on it and hope the squirrels don't get it all.

I wish for you these little moments of holiday cheer, of warm glows where it seems a bit dark.


18 comments:

  1. Go Bryce!!!!! I completely agree with him (and those who claim that Christmas is solely about the kids, blah, blah are either 1) dead inside or 2) completely bullshitting). I love that he got you the perfect tree. I also love that this tree with be spending its days while you are traveling feeding the winter birds.

    Thank you for the lovely story.

    And again, Go Bryce!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best. Totally the best. I love the two options for the people who are like, "Christmas is only about the kids," you made me laugh! Well, it's going to feed the birds in the new year, since I think we've decided just to unplug it since it looks so pretty all decorated. :) Happy New Year, Birds! (And rogue squirrels)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful, and so sweet. Bryce, you are a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, he totally is! One of the best Christmas moments in my life, ever. :)

      Delete
  3. Bryce is the best husband ever. What a good man. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is, thank you! I am a lucky, lucky lady. <3

      Delete
  4. That is seriously one of the sweetest stories - what an amazing, wonderful thing to do from a guy who is obviously amazing and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He's so modest, too...all this praise just makes him blush and "aw shucks" it away. I am so fortunate to have met him!

      Delete
  5. I love that story. I love that he did that for you, for ou both.

    Happy. Joy. Cheers. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too -- always good to have Bryce in your corner! :) Happy Merry Joy to you, as well!

      Delete
  6. I’m so glad you got your tree after all. It’s not even exactly about the tree, but about the fact you owe it to each other to celebrate. I’m so glad you and Bryce recognozed that, because he moments of sadness can creep up on you. Gotta turn and fight sometimes: only a bright light or a shiny tree can dispel that darkness. Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much -- I love how you put that! Gorgeous about the bright light and shiny tree. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  7. What a great story! Love that Bryce went to get a tree, even if you guys aren't going to be around after Christmas. Three cheers for Bryce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your little tree! It was so natural, smelled great and didn’t steal the thunder of the rest of your beautiful decor. Christmas is for everyone. After all, it’s about Light rising out of the darkness. All the holidays surrounding this time of year celebrate Light in one way or another. The star in the East, the miracle of eight days of lamp oil, the return of the sun seen through ancient stone circles. Enjoy. Celebrate. You deserve joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this story. Indeed, everyone deserves a great tree! And yours is perfect! He a keeper, that Bryce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe! I love it! I love your story and how Bryce surprised you with a tree. So very sweet. A loving memory for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a huge smile on my face as I read this. Bryce, you are a gem. :) What a perfect little tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this story! The last two years I've felt silly putting up our tree for just DH and I, but your husband is so right: trees are for everyone!

    ReplyDelete